Thursday, December 17, 2009

Vida Nueva

Oaxaca has been great thus far.... I have hit the ground running since I've arrived and haven't had time to stop. On Saturday, we are going on vacation for 4-5 days. Our destination? The beach, and lots of them. I can't wait.

But to satisfy your hunger of wanting to know about my life here thus far, here is a little of what I have been up to:

We went to a Woman's Weaving Cooperative called "Vida Nueva" which is for woman who have had some difficulties in life and they are able to come together at this weaving cooperative and weave these beautiful rugs and bags.


While we were at Vida Nueva, we went and helped the women plant a bunch of trees, because they are trying to create more green space as a lot of the land that surrounds them has been deforested.


Then we went back to the cooperative and they taught us how to make all of the beautiful rugs that you will see next....


After learning all of the steps that go into creating these beautiful rugs, we ate a delicious lunch that the women made for us.....


Then the next day we went to a Mexican wrestling match.....Nacho Libre anyone?
And in case you were wondering, yes, I did buy that mask, and yes, that will be my costume for Halloween next year, and yes, it will be awesome.


Then we moved into our new apartment.
This is the bathroom - notice how Mexican showers don't have shower curtains. There are no shower curtains in Mexico and all of the water just goes EVERYWHERE when you shower and you have to squeegee it towards the drain when you get out of the shower.


This is our professional kitchen. That is a grill, a griddle and a huge freakin' stove.


Our hallway


And our living room. For entertainment purposes we like to hang out in our masks.


And then these are some random pics:
A picture of one of the fabulous doors here (this one is for you mom)


And a picture displaying my height compared to a Mexican's height. I am a freakin' giant. Seriously, this was a bathroom that I went into and this was where the mirror was hung. Sometimes I feel like I am in an elementary school bathroom again.



That's all! I am off to the beach in a few days and in attempts to not become desperately homesick, I am going to try to not think about how much I will miss not having Christmas at home this year. I hope that you are all having a good time preparing for the Holidays and that you all wake up to a wonderful amount of white, powdery snow. Loves to you all.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

WOW! What an adventure! I LOVE IT!