Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Living the dream....



About two years ago, I heard that there was a place in Guatemala where you could climb a volcano and roast marshmallows over lava. As soon as I heard about it, this activity of roasting marshmallows over lava went to the top of my bucket list. Jonny and I daydreamed about going there together – not really thinking that it would happen – but then when he came back to Belize, we decided to go on vacation together, and we changed plans to go to Guatemala, we realized that our dream was about to come true and we got so excited.

We left for the volcano around 2:00 en la tarde and started hiking around 3:30. It was a long hike up, but totally worth it. As we got closer to the lava and the volcano, we could start feeling the heat underneath our feet and see the steam coming out of different areas in the ground. When we finally got to the area where we could make our lava-roasted smores, it was hot and intense. We had carried sticks up from the trail (as obviously there are no trees on an active volcano) and put our mallows on the sticks and placed them right over the lava. They started on fire instantly and we let them burn for a few moments, before we blew them out and put them with graham crackers and chocolate. And that was by far the best damn smores that I have ever eaten in my entire life – hands down. Nothing will ever compare with that ever again. Being up there on the volcano was so much fun and by far one of the best days of my life. I was livin’ the dream folks, and it felt good.

After we got our fill of lava, marshmallows and melted shoes, we started the hike back down. During this time, it turned dark and as we looked up at the peak of the volcano, it started to erupt and we were able to watch hot magma (think Austin Powers here with the word magma) blast out of the volcano. They said that it only erupts about once a month and so we were really lucky to be able to witness it. Seeing that was also another dream of mine that was fulfilled (I kind of have an obsession with lava – it’s so cool!) and was a great end to a perfect day.

P.S. My favorite quote of the day was "Did I just hear someone say 'holy shit - there's lava??!!" hahahahaha











2 comments:

Lauren said...

So excellent - I love the look of total joy on your face!

Natalie said...

I LOVE that you went for it..... what an adventure!!!! And, you better stop by next time you are in St Louis..... I would love to see you!!!