Sunday, December 5, 2010

Viva Oaxaca

So I have been meaning to write this post for about a month now, but haven't really had the ganas (desire) to do so, until now. I'm not sure why, but I didn't. I feel a little afraid, a little excited, a little nervous, some disbelief and a decent amount of happiness about the fact that I will be - moving to Mexico - in March - for a year - with Jonny Roman. Woah. Big news.

So I am sure that you are all wondering, how the heck did I get this commitment-phobe boy to 1. commit to me and 2. Leave Peru and 3. Move to Mexico - speaking of which, why Mexico? Well....let me fill you in on a little bit of the backstory.

It all started when we were saying goodbye to each other once again at the airport and as we cried and hugged and felt knots in our stomachs, we decided that we were so sick of saying goodbye to each other at airports. We had essentially done this way too many times, and we didn't want to do it anymore - we wanted our lives to be together and we were ready. So, we wrote a proposal to our jefes, explaining the situation and asking them if we could live together but continue to work for ProWorld. They came back to us and were incredibly supportive and asked me to write up my ideal scene for my job. At first I was a little overwhelmed with their request, because I felt like what was ideal for me was not necessarily ideal for the company, but I decided - screw it - I am going to ask for everything that I want and then they can say yes to some and no to others. So I did - I asked for a whole list of things that I wanted - and I got everything. It was amazing and a great lesson in learning to just ask for what you want, because you never know when people will completely comply and the Universe will get in line and give you what you are asking for. I have a lot to be grateful for right now.

Anyway...back to the story...so originally one thing that we had asked for was that I move to Peru, as that seemed the most logical decision - Jonny is living there, I love it there, I would be happy to live there, etc etc. However, when the jefes came back with their decision, they offered us Mexico instead as it was more in line with my position in the company. Jonny just happened to be visiting me in the States during the week that we were presented with the Mexico option, so we talked it over and came to the conclusion that really it was much better for both of us than Peru was. I would get a promotion, Jonny would get to live in a new country, Mexico is closer to the States which makes it easier to visit home and it is a neutral place for both of us - one of us isn't moving for the other - we are moving together and I love that. So Mexico it is! We are leaving in the beginning of March and are thinking of possibly driving. So if any of you know someone who has recently driven to Mexico can you please put me in touch with them? We are trying to research our options so that we can stay safe if we decide to drive and cross borders through - oh you know - major drug war areas.....

So until then, whats next? Well....I am currently in Duluth. On the 11th I head to San Francisco where I meet up with Jonny and we attend a ProWorld conference, then I come home for Christmas, then head to Peru Dec 26-Jan 20, come back to the States for six weeks and then Viva Oaxaca! It's kind of a lot in the next few months, but I am so looking forward to it. And for any of you who want to start planning a trip to come and visit us in Mexico....let me know....we would love to have visitors! And just so you know, where we live in Oaxaca is super safe and far far far away from any of the drug war infested areas - so would be a perfect, and authentic way to vacation! Plus, you would get to hang out with me :-)

And just a little side note - two years ago - I had just left Belize, Jonny and I had ended our relationship because he was moving to Peru, I was convinced that I would never see him again, and was pretty much heartbroken over the situation. And now two years later we are back together, life is really sweet, and we are moving to Mexico together. I love how life continues to surprise, challenge and uplift me. The Blessings already are.








4 comments:

Amber said...

You make me giddy with happiness! Congrats Elsie, you deserve every good thing to come your way!! My Aunt owns a home in Mexico, and they used to drive down there once a year. They have now stopped that due to some scary situations they found themselves in. Let me know if you want her email address, I am sure she would love to talk to you about it!

Jessica said...

so glad that you are so happy and you have such a dream job, what luck. I'm so impressed at your adventures!

Sarah said...

Congrats! I'm so glad you get to be with Johnny after all. Good luck with all the travels coming up!

Natalie said...

WOW! The only drawback with this promotion is I am guessing business won't bring you through St Louis to visit us! So...... maybe we'll be coming to Mexico!!
I am so happy to see the smile on your face and hear that life is good!